Wednesday, November 22, 2006

an update...

Well, a lot has happened this last week or so .... and hopefully a lot more will happen soon as you'll read down below.

For the last month I'd been testing for the position of Character Designer on the latest Marvel/Lionsgate direct-to-video. Normally I abhor testing - mainly for the reason that I've never received any actual work for taking a test. And, even though they finally decided to pay me for the final test, my record remains in tact. True to form I didn't get this particular job and, needless to say, my plan for the future is to stick to my guns and never take that type of test again - especially if it's unpaid. I could go on and on about how I feel about these types of tests, but I won't bore you with that...especially when I have something much more positive to talk about.

I mentioned earlier that I had optioned a book with the hope that I could get it financed for a feature animated film.....well, for the last 3 months my producing partner and I have been going around to various studios and pitching the project. Most of the pitches have been going very good and all the reactions have been positive, but nothing concrete had developed - yet.
Now I'm not the best pitcher in town (quite an understatement), but this project comes in with such a big name - the author's - that it virtually pitches itself. I've had my friend, Francesco Francavilla, do some beautiful presentation drawings and I've put together a description of how I want to handle the film and this is what we go in with. We also go in with a positive attitude and view the studio as a partner in our endeavor and not the enemy.
The reason why I bring this particular aspect up is because a thread on a forum I frequent was started by someone who was proud of his antagonistic attitude towards those that he was pitching to. If you're curious about reading about it a friend of mine discusses it on his BLOG - just scroll down to the topic "More Nonsense". He pretty much states my opinion and he has a link to the original forum if you're that interested. (Stay a bit and check out the rest of his blog while you're there - he's putting together a really unique film and it's an interesting read).

Anyway back to the update: last week we had a pitch with a studio that went even better than expected - it seems we have the type of film that they've been looking to produce. In the parlance of the biz "it was a slam dunk". Hopefully in a short amount of time we should hear more and I'll keep everyone up to date as much as possible - without jinxing it too much that is. We also have other studios that we're still talking to just in case...you never know.
So you can see why I'm not too broken up about losing the character design gig. That was actually just to keep me busy and my hand drawing - especially since for my project I intend on hiring others to do the design work.
I'll show you this one piece by Francesco just to whett your appetites a bit, but I doubt anyone will be able to guess what it is.


Clearly it's not your daddy's animated film....

14 comments:

Brandon said...

Really exciting. Can't wait to hear more.

Is this intended to be CG?

Anonymous said...

Hi

Mr Steven E Gordon, do u remember my " mega-fan request " that I requested to u about 2 or 3 months ago and u agreed to it that you will be making an X-M:E team drawing/sketch...but I really want to know when u will be doing it?please reply.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.Gordon!I am like your biggest fan! mostly because of X-Men Evolution. Such awesome work!!

Do u know that there is some new Art of it at www.filmroman.com ? It's really nice.Did u did tha art work as well? and I'm curios and anxious to know that whether or not, u will be selling that CD Boyd Kirkland gave to u, of XME art...oh please tell me..please..if the answer to it is NO,then please put up a website containing some of the stuff from that website or put some of it as a featurette on X-M:E season 4 DVD,oh by the way,when is it coming in the market?

sorry for too many questions....but what can I say,I'm your biggest fan!!

Unknown said...

Brandon:

it all depends on what the backers want. I'm comfortable going either way ...

Cheeno...I've got 3 commissions (1. scott/lance, 2. rogue 3. wanda) that i was actually going to start this weekend...which one is yours (I don't recognize the 'cheeno' name)

Aleesha....some of the art on that web-site was created by KidsWB for promo purposes, but rest assured that the really good pieces are mine ;) N, I won't be selling that CD - mosyt of the art is out there and a lot of it posted on my web-site now. maybe down the line I'll post the rest of it, but keep in mind that my web-site is designed to gove a sampling of my work so future employers can get a sense of my abilities.

Anonymous said...

I must say I really don't understand this testing concept. I mean, it sounds like you go, and show them what you'd do with their characters, they get to take your ideas, and then say "no, thankyou," while hireing out to someone cheeper to just replicate what you tested? Sounds like a crap deal, if that's how it works. >.>; Pretty raw deal- can't get work without it on some level, but no work guarenteed through it. Iicchhh.

Nabil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

ohhhh u've forgotten.But it's ok,really:)

I had sent u a PM at Toon Zone requesting u if u can make one sketch of XME consisting of all major characters,as atribute to the fans.It was NON-COMMISSION and then later after one month,I again reminded by sending u a comment at one of your entrie at your blog in/after July 2006,and u said " yes cheeno,I remember and it's in my yet-to-do list "

but its' ok if u dont remmber:)

Unknown said...

Sorry, Cheeno, I did forget...I guess my "to do" list wasn't working too good. I will try to get to it AAP...paying commissions take priority, of course.

Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to this project! Looks sPooky! And as always, I'm looking forward to any and all X-M:E art you do.

Anonymous said...

yeah...whats AAP by the way?

Nabil said...

Wow! 3 X-men commissions, u say, cool...u will be uploadng them on your blog,right?

Unknown said...

Yep...I will post them once they're finished, AAP?...hmmm....bad typing?...ASAP is what I meant.

BLABLABLA STUDIOS said...

Good luck Steven, will keep checking the blog to see how it all turns out.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am totaly geeked about this new project your doing!