Sunday, August 08, 2010

Real He-men and girl...

It never ceases to amaze me the diversity of suggestions that come in for Fan Request Friday. It always leaves me in a quandary as to which to do and I often start the weekend thinking that I should do a half dozen or more. Unfortunately by the time I actually start to do the drawings I find myself short on time. If only weekends were longer.

Many weeks it seems like I end up doing a female - oddly enough a majority of the suggestions tend towards female characters. I guess there's no real surprise there and it's not like I mind doing them either. So when He-Man was suggested I thought what character could be more male than He-Man, eh?
But, since I never really cared for the way Filmation had handled him, I thought I'd throw a little of a Frazetta vibe into him. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'm not quite sure it works for the character after all.



Before I ran out of time and had to get back to work I was also able to squeeze one more in. Invincible and Atom Eve have been suggested many times over the last few months and though I'm not very familiar with them I've always have liked their designs and the way Cory Walker and Ryan Ottley have drawn them - so I wanted to take a crack at them.

4 comments:

Scott said...

I really love that He-Man. The early character designs and mini-comics were heavily Frazetta inspired. I think this is a great take on the character itself!

Also Invincible and Atom Eve are nice. :)

Jim McClain said...

Woohoo, I got my wish! Nice work on Invincible and Atom Eve! Thank you, Steven!

Steve Downer said...

That He-Man is gorgeous, Steven! Do you mind if I throw some colors on that? I've been toying with doing a Frazetta imitation myself, and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone.

@Steve - go ahead, but let me see what you come up with.