Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sideswiped....

Yesterday I was alerted by Wren Price that one of my commissions had been copied and posted on Deviant art.
I don't have a problem with anyone copying my art for their own enjoyment, as fanart, or for educational purposes or does not acknowledge where the original came from. When someone seeks to profit from the copied art and /or denies it's a swipe is when I react.
At first I just posted a comment on his page asking if he had used reference for his drawing. The he removed my message and blocked me so I contacted DA and filed a greivance sending them the drawings I've posted below.

It evidently worked because a few hours later I received an e-mail from him telling me that he removed the art, but still denied that he had copied it.
So, thank you Wren.



The top drawing is mine (obviously), the next drawing is the swipe and the third drawing is the mine laid on top of his - after I flopped it (the one change he made to the art other than changing the characters)




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't read this before I sent you the last comment. But yeah I got a notice saying he voluntarily removed it. And no problem. Just glad it got resolved alright.

Wren

Anonymous said...

Blargh, I can't stand to see such art copied so disrespectfully - not even acknowledging that original image.

I'm glad to hear that the matter has been settled, though.

-Joe

Elizabeth A Michaels said...

That must've been aggravating. But like they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

By the way, I was wondering where is appropriate to ask you some questions? I feel like it would be a little irrelevant to comment with random questions on your blog entries.

Unknown said...

@Elizabeth - you can post them in any of the comments section of this blog and I'll try to get to it as soon as I can or if you're FaceBook you can post question on my "art of..." page: https://www.facebook.com/StevenEricGordon

JRtist said...

Imitation is one thing. Outright Plagarism is another. I've been accused of this in the past. When I was in 8th and 9th grade. Never had the problem again. I do my best to stay away from doing that. Yes I use reference, yes I look at fellow artists and use poses. But I won't copy the work.

The artist in question, contacted me and asked if I knew you, Steve. Then went through his reason for asking, saying he was being heckled and your account on DA was a fake account. The guy found out I knew you finally, and I said you wouldn't create a fake account or fake your gender just to say something about what he did or didn't do. (I had no idea at the time what he was talking about.) After seeing what YOU posted, I would have gotten on his ass too.

Now I'm no one to talk when it comes to artistic style and grace... but compared to what he's shown as commission work, and THAT piece... he jumped a ton of hurdles to suddenly become that proficient in his skills as an artist, only to have them fall away after that piece was done.

Sorry, but facts are facts. The fact is he swiped it whether he wants to deny it or not.

Glad it was found before anything else was created without knowing.

Dillan Gould said...

Thanks great ppost